Nowadays, in discussions about cabinet files (extension: .cab), it’s not uncommon to see Windows users asking about how to install .cab files. On Windows, it’s possible to install cabinet files via the context menu, Command Prompt, PowerShell and Device Manager (for drivers). You have a hard time installing .cab files on your own and could use some help? In that case, this article is going to be of use to you.
The Installation Of .CAB Files: A To Z
Via Context Menu
- Step 1: Locate your .cab file, right-click it to open the context menu and pick Install.
- Step 2: Follow on-screen instructions.
- Step 3: Restart your computer the moment the process completes.
- Step 1: Press Windows key, type the name of your .cab file, right-click the result and pick Open file location.
- Step 2: Look to the top, select Home and choose Copy path.
- Step 3: Press Windows key, type cmd and hit Run as administrator.
- Step 4: In Command Prompt (Admin), type DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:”<PATH>” and hit Enter. Remember to substitute the path of your .cab file you copied previously for <PATH>.
- Step 5: Restart your computer.
- Step 1: Copy the path of your .cab file.
- Step 2: Press Windows key, type PowerShell and hit Run as administrator.
- Step 3: In PowerShell (Admin), type Add-WindowsPackage -Online -PackagePath “PATH”. Needless to say, you must substitute the path of your .cab file you copied previously for “PATH” here as well. Last but not least, restart your computer.
Via Device Manager (For Drivers)
- Step 1: Open your .cab file, press Ctrl + A to highlight all items, right-click the highlighted items and pick Extract.
- Step 2: Select the destination then choose Extract.
- Step 3: Press Windows key, type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
- Step 4: Locate the device whose driver you want to update, right-click it and pick Update driver.
- Step 5: Select Browse my computer for drivers then choose Browse. Next, make your way to the directory where you put the extracted items, click it and pick OK. Follow on-screen instructions then restart your computer after the process finishes.
What Exactly Is A Cabinet File?
Initially called diamond files, cabinet files help people compress and organize files on Windows. A .cab file is able to store up to 65,535 folders and each of the folders can also store 65,536 files. Noteworthily, in order to save space, .cab files save folders as compressed blocks. Windows allows users to create a .cab archive by running the command makecab.exe in Command Prompt.
What Must Be Done To Remove .CAB Files?
To remove .cab files, you should run the command /Image:C:\test\offline /LogPath:C:\test\RemovePackage.log /Remove-Package /PackagePath:C:\packages\package1.cab /PackagePath:C:\packages\package2.cab in Command Prompt (Admin). Of course, you must enter the correct path of .cab files.
How Do I Update Drivers If .CAB Files Fail To Install?
- Step 1: Launch your web browser, visit the official website of the manufacturer of your device and download the latest driver for it.
- Step 3: Right-click the downloaded driver setup then pick Run as administrator.
- Step 3: Follow on-screen instructions then restart your computer.
How Come DISM Keeps Saying “The System Cannot Find The File Specified”?
If you get an error while installing .cab files, ensure that you nail the path of the files. In addition, it’s essential that you open Command Prompt as administrator for the installation to succeed
The files still fail to install? Then it’s strongly recommended that you perform SFC and DISM scans.
- Step 1: Open Command Prompt as administrator.
- Step 2: In Command Prompt (Admin), run each of the following commands to perform SFC and DISM scans:
- sfc /scannow
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Step 3: Proceed to run the command exit to close Command Prompt.
- Step 4: Restart your computer.
- Step 5: When the screen comes back on, install .cab.files one more time and see how things turn out.